Crazy Carl: audits with daughter, gets arrested

OG2.0

Several auditors have been taking children to audit with them, notably Carl, Otto and Freeman. What are your thoughts on this after seeing Carl arrested in front of his daughter? Should auditors take their children with them while also proclaiming how dangerous it is?
Crazy Carl
Carolina in Fort Worth

observer

Staff member
Curator
What are your thoughts on this after seeing Carl arrested in front of his daughter? Should auditors take their children with them while also proclaiming how dangerous it is?
Specific to the question about Carl's arrest in front of his daughter, I am sad for his daughter and pissed at Carl. The arrest was totally unnecessary and his point could have been made without pushing the officer to the point of wanting to arrest Carl.

I am also troubled with the arrest of Carl with his daughter present when I consider the time, place, and manner of the audit. Based on comments made by the co-auditor, they area was somewhat rough with drunks and other creatures of the night. They were auditing in a "bar" district and the hour was late, which leads to the next question.

Taking children with you while auditing is not a simple yes or no answer. In addition to considering the time, place, and manner of the audit one MUST consider the child. What is the age of the child? Is the child physically and mentally capable of participating in the audit process?

An example of where it may have been appropriate is when HDCW and his son were auditing together and were confronted by numerous probation officers. There is no doubt that the audit turned south quickly, but IMO the blame lies with the probation officers for the majority of the disaster. The audit was conducted during the early afternoon and in public areas of county property. The child was a teenager and not of grade school age.

You raised some great questions and I look forward to the perspectives of both the auditor and non-auditor "community."

Celina

Specific to the question about Carl's arrest in front of his daughter, I am sad for his daughter and pissed at Carl. The arrest was totally unnecessary and his point could have been made without pushing the officer to the point of wanting to arrest Carl.

I am also troubled with the arrest of Carl with his daughter present when I consider the time, place, and manner of the audit. Based on comments made by the co-auditor, they area was somewhat rough with drunks and other creatures of the night. They were auditing in a "bar" district and the hour was late, which leads to the next question.

Taking children with you while auditing is not a simple yes or no answer. In addition to considering the time, place, and manner of the audit one MUST consider the child. What is the age of the child? Is the child physically and mentally capable of participating in the audit process?

An example of where it may have been appropriate is when HDCW and his son were auditing together and were confronted by numerous probation officers. There is no doubt that the audit turned south quickly, but IMO the blame lies with the probation officers for the majority of the disaster. The audit was conducted during the early afternoon and in public areas of county property. The child was a teenager and not of grade school age.

You raised some great questions and I look forward to the perspectives of both the auditor and non-auditor "community."
Very well said! I see a young girl who is not quite mature yet and doesn't understand unlawful arrests. Clearly she is very upset. My advice to Carl is to leave her at home when doing night audits and wait until she can handle seeing you get arrested. And definitely do not bring her in neighbor hoods that may be questionable. Endangering a child definitely is a whole different charge than being falsely arrested.

observer

Staff member
Curator
Very well said! I see a young girl who is not quite mature yet and doesn't understand unlawful arrests. Clearly she is very upset. My advice to Carl is to leave her at home when doing night audits and wait until she can handle seeing you get arrested. And definitely do not bring her in neighbor hoods that may be questionable. Endangering a child definitely is a whole different charge than being falsely arrested.
Thank you for the compliment and joining the conversation. the following is a quote from the co-auditor during the arrest: 582

We each will have our own perspectives and they will not always agree, but I hope that we can all agree that consideration must be given to others that we may want to be involved in an audit. Even other adults need to be fully informed as to each other's intentions, motives, and how far they want to push the proverbial "envelope".

Cassano

First of all, nobody should take a minor child on an audit, ever. Secondly, I get really weary hearing these auditors claim that the Supreme Court has ruled that they can stand a certain number of feet away form a police investigation - in this case 10 feet. The Supreme Court has NEVER made such a distance ruling in these matters. Period.

Liz

Staff member
Liaison
A parent us supposed to protect their child. An audit, even during the day, can be dangerous. Thankfully, his daughter was not harmed physically. I'm not so sure she wasn't harmed emotionally though. She's 12 for God's sake. On top of that, the poor kid is crying and Carolina's priority was to go live.

FattMatt

Getting arrested in front of your child is not the best course of action, taking your child auditing will mean having to pick your battles carefully.
The police will always have the final decision of what is a safe distance. Auditors could avoid this by investing in the right recording equipment that stops the need of getting so close, like commercial newsgathering services employ.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donaldecodo