Doxing. Legal or a criminal act?

S.SaulGood

The California legislature passed a law in 2008 which makes it illegal to post harmful information on the internet. Penal Code 653.2 states it is a crime to post about other people on the internet in a way that will cause them harm.

A lot of information about each of us is already available on the Internet. However, it is illegal to post private information about a person with the intention of causing harm or damaging his/her reputation.
________________________________________________________________________________

As anyone who has ever watched 1A Amendment crucifixion videos from SGV News 1st, KC Camera Boy, Furry Potato, and the rest of the 1A crowd and followers who routinely and constantly dox their victims hoping, and in some cases, SUGGESTING that someone will seek them out, pay them a visit off camera and acting upon the doxed info either harm or kill them, it got me wondering.

It appears that in California, this practice is a criminal act. I have to look into it further, but unfortunately. I find the language of both of these entries above slightly vague and subject to interpretation. Does anyone reading this know for sure, and if so, are there other states with a similar stance on doxing with the intent to cause bodily harm?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donaldecodo